Security Tips For You This Winter.
Now the clocks have gone back we will see brighter mornings but darker nights and home security is very important in the winter months.
Source: Telegraph.co.uk – October – As the evenings turn darker, it’s burglaries that start to cause the problems again – household thefts rise by 5% in the week the clocks go back in October and Halloween sees malicious damage rise by 160%
Here are some tips to help make sure your home is secure.
- Consider installing motion-sensitive lighting above front doors, porches, garage doors and entrances to back gardens.
- Make sure your side/back gates have locks or bolts on to deter people from opening them.
- Fit window locks to all downstairs windows. Fit secure locks to conservatory/patio doors. It’s easy to upgrade locks to existing patio doors & windows. Remove any ladders that could be used to gain access through upstairs windows or a flat roof.
- Be letterbox aware. You will be amazed how easy it can be to retrieve keys through a letterbox. Why not install a box inside to catch your mail, preventing access for thieves to obtain keys. Make sure you put keys and other valuables out of easy reach and sight of the front door.
- Put your mark on valuables, if possible, with a UV pen – to identify your items if they are stolen.
- Many sheds are used to store cycles, garden equipment and tools. Make sure you have a good secure, sturdy padlock on your shed door.
- If possible, don’t allow the front of your home to be obscured by trees or hedges that may provide hiding places for thieves.
- Personal information. Be careful about what personal information you divulge on social media.
- Opportunist thieves often turn to Facebook and Twitter to target victims, so it is very important that you don’t divulge information regarding your whereabouts. And NEVER reveal that your property is empty.
- Neighbourhood Watch. Be a good neighbour and watch out for your neighbours too and join the local Neighbourhood Watch group if you have one.
We can help make sure windows and doors have secure looking systems and you don’t need to replace your windows & doors, you can upgrade the locks.
Need any help, just give us a call 0800 026 4455 OR contact us using the form below: