It is statistically proven that crime increases over the festive period, in particular house burglaries, with an increase of up to 20% at Christmas time. According to crime stats for the financial year 2016/17, there were 6278 burglaries in England and Wales over the 2016 Christmas period. This compares to 5524 the year before and 5222 in 2014 – a 20% increase in 3 years. The survey also reveals that West Yorkshire had the most burglaries in 2016 with 1062 over Christmas.
Taken from the West Yorkshire Police website, they advise ‘Crime prevention doesn’t have to cost a lot of money, there are simple measures you can take to make your home look occupied and reduce your chances of being a victim.
Here are some tips to improve your home security: –
- Always keep doors and windows locked, even when you’re in. Remove the keys from the lock and keep them out of view.
- Use timer switches to turn lights on when you are out. Alternate the times and lights that you use.
- Make sure your alarm and any outside lights are in working order. Always activate your alarm when you leave the house.
- Don’t leave valuables on show, such as laptops, tablets, keys, purses, etc.
- Consider starting or joining a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.
But above all the old tricks to keep the burglars at bay, the best thing to do is improve the security of your home. At West Yorkshire Windows, we believe in giving our customers the best quality products and highest levels of security on the market. This is why we recommend the Ultion lock to all our customers.
The Ultion lock is the most secure due to;
- 20-point drill protection– Both ends of every Ultion lock feature 20 hardened steel pins and plates, each one positioned precisely to protect your lock from a drill attack.
- Unbeaten in every test, literally– As well as being approved by the Police and achieving the highest Kitemark star rating, Ultion is tested by locksmiths with the Master Lock Association and is accredited with their highest standard.
- 294,970 key combinations– Most security locks have only 5 or 6 pins, Ultion uses 11. This means that Ultion creates nearly 3 times the amount of key combinations required for the highest standard.
- Hidden attack lock- When Ultion detects an attack it activates Lockdown Mode. A hidden firing pin in Ultion’s core secures the central cam and stops the intruder being able to open the door.
For more information on the Ultion lock and how to get the highest security locks for your home and conservatory doors, speak to one of our designers today!